Pages

Friday, May 4, 2012

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother



Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
by Amy Chua

Bursting out in laughter I ended-up reading chapter after chapter of this book to my husband. I couldn't help it. The insight was so deep, the cultural difference so evident and the unbelief so real.
Did you ever wonder how those Asian kids excelled at everything that was handed to them? Do you have a friend who parents in a completely different style of expectations than you do? Amy Chua does an excellent job of looking at how her Chinese culture influenced how she raised her two girls and how opposite to American culture it was. By understanding the culture and reasons behind different ways of raising kids I realize that I agree with some of the Asian ideas and wish I had employed a bit more Tiger Mother into my own kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment