Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

It Takes Time

The tangle of emotions is beginning as we get closer to our departure date.  Despite being a difficult season of life for me here in Bogota, there have been some moments and experiences that I have treasured.  One of those is church each Sunday.  Singing to God in Spanish brings joy and peace every single week.  Greeting the people I have come to know and having baby conversations in stilted Spanish makes me happy throughout the week.  As I was singing this Sunday it really hit me that this season of life will soon be over.  I won't get to go to that church, with those people and sing those songs.  I could feel my eyes welling up.  I shook my head and told myself it was too soon to cry.
The next morning I was sitting in San Andrecito waiting for some movies.  A guy with dreadlocks bounded up to me and greeted me with a kiss.  His mother smiled brilliantly at me and we chatted for a bit.  I don't know his name, I just call him "the dreadlock guy" from church.  He is there every week with a huge smile lighting his face.  I didn't realize the woman who radiantly greets me every week was his mother.  I asked a friend from church about the connection.  Yes, mother and son, and guess what?  Our guitar teacher is his brother.  A story began to unfold of a father who died of cancer, who was cared for in his last days by his son with a smile and gorgeous dreadlocks.  It takes time to fit into a new place, for a church to become a family, for relationships to develop and grow.  It takes time, but we are approaching the finish line.  

No comments:

Post a Comment