Pages

Saturday, December 21, 2013

December 21

Mark 13:33-37
Be on guard! Be alert! 
You do not know when that time will come. 
It’s like a man going away: He leaves his house and puts his servants in charge, each with their assigned task, and tells the one at the door to keep watch.
“Therefore keep watch because you do not know when the owner of the house will come back—whether in the evening, or at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or at dawn. 
If he comes suddenly, do not let him find you sleeping. 
What I say to you, I say to everyone: ‘Watch!’”

There is a feeling of anticipation and expectancy in these verses.  In the same way that we are looking forward to Christmas Day, Jesus tells us to be alert for His second coming.  


I remember when my kids were little and could barely contain their excitement for opening the gifts under the tree.  They would beg to open one “just a little bit early”!  On their hands and knees they would reach far under the tree to make sure no gifts were forgotten.  They would stack, organize and re-stack the gifts, bursting with anticipation.  Isn’t that how Jesus is asking me to be?  “On guard”, “alert”, “watch” -  these are words that anticipate something, they are ready now.  Am I ready now?  Am I watching and excited for Him to return?

No comments:

Post a Comment