Pages

Wednesday, October 28, 2015

4 Days Left - Lessons I've Learned as an Expat

Dow Gardens, Midland, MI

Today's post is dedicated to my husband.  Because without him, I never would have owned a pet.  

Flat out, honest truth.  I don't particularly like animals.  They ruin things and create a tremendous amount of work.  You also have to spend time with them and pay attention to them.  This is probably what a lot of people like about animals--companionship--but I would prefer to find my friend in a good book.

We've always had animals.  And not just one, nice, quiet pet, rather we have gone overboard in the animal department.  So I can't really compare what life was like before pets and then how it magically changed after we acquired them.  What I can tell you is how much of a difference it has made in my kids' lives having animals with us when we move.  It's like Bam!  Instant friend.  Bad day at school?  Kitty will curl up with you and purr to sooth your sad heart.  Want to take a run?  Just leash up the dog and off you go.  

We have either taken animals with us when we move, or gotten new animals when we arrive.  In Russia we even got two cats with the specific rule that the cats would stay in Russia.  They were wonderful.  Family after family, they took care of little kids hearts.  Animals meet needs in a way that I can't.  A pet can be told a secret and will never judge or tell.  A pet will be with you for hours and hours--no words need to be spoken.

It really doesn't matter where you live in the world, pets are good for kids.  Even if you're like me and really would rather do without, think about the space they would fill for your kids.  It's something I've learned over and over again.





1 comment:

  1. Kris, yes. Pets are wonderful. They provide more than just comfort for the kids, they provide comfort for adults too. I love our furry baby.

    ReplyDelete