Pages

Saturday, October 24, 2015

8 Days Left - Lessons I've Learned as an Expat


Relying on Others

I think the title says it all.  It sounds independent to pack your suitcases and move to the other side of  the world, but I've actually found the opposite to be true.  Moving across the ocean has actually made me less of a dependent person.  There are times I just want to pull out my hair and scream "I just want to be independent!"  It doesn't work that way though.  I need people at home to take care of those little details that I can't while I am away and I need people over here to show me the ropes.  I can't do it alone and it's a humbling thing to learn.  

God didn't create us to be alone.  He even said that to Adam, "It's not good for man to be alone..."  So if God didn't create me to be alone, why does anger and frustration at having to rely on others, rear it's ugly head and throw a pity party when I need to ask for help?  Because it's so humbling to admit that there is actually very little about this life that I can do alone.

Moving all the time and living overseas has really shown me how dependent I must be on other people and it's taught me that it's not such a bad thing.  It draws me closer to others and helps me be aware of when I need to reach out and help someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment