Pages

Sunday, September 16, 2012

My Sorrow Over the Hate

Not much used to concern me politically or environmentally around the world.  I would read the news about a natural disaster or attack on Americans and think "Oh, that's too bad.".  Things have changed radically in my outlook since we took the step to live in various places around the world.
Now when there is an earthquake in Christchurch, NZ I cry because I have friends who live there and I know the difficulty and mourning they are going through.  Christians who are put in jail then sentenced with death becomes personal because I walked the streets and was invited into homes in Pakistan.  My heart has become a part of these places and it bleeds with the injustice of life.
A few days ago when American embassies and consulates began to be attacked it was more than just a news story.  Egypt, Libya and then Yemen.  Terror, fear, injury and death.  In the State Department the world has become a smaller place for me.  My husband's colleagues are in these places.  The longer we are in this job, the more people we know at each embassy.  I hurt for their families, I hurt for their community and I hurt for all the other embassy employees and families throughout the world who are now beginning to live in fear.
It doesn't seem right - this sort of hate for another person.  I've read the news stories regarding this film that has sparked the violence.  Hate.  These producers claim to be Christians using media to proclaim their hate and bitterness to the world.  The thing is these two religions have one thing in common.  The Bible.  If as Christians we want to take the name "Christ" in our identity I think we need to examine closely his words.
When Jesus said:
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
he was asking us, as His followers, to do something radically different than society expected.  This is not something we can do without the help of a greater being.  Hatred always leads to destruction.  Even if it does not come out, it destroys the very being of a person.  I have never seen love lead to destruction.  Love, although it may be spit upon, will bring peace from within.
These are just my ramblings.  This is where my mind has gone these last several days as I have sat and listened to reports of the demonstrations and violence spreading to 22 countries.  Listened to friends from many nations discuss the situation.  I can not solve the greater problem, but I am responsible for me.  
Will I love or hate?  Will I make the world a more violent or peaceful place?

No comments:

Post a Comment