Pages

Friday, May 3, 2013

The Big Event

The purpose for my visit to Mexico City hinged on one event.  My daughter had been selected by her school to participate in a Latin American orchestra.  For months she had been practicing her pieces, bringing me questions about measures that I and even her teacher didn't know the interpretation of.  She worked hard on those pieces.
We dropped her off at the airport sending her with a friend - two girls unaccompanied - into the heart of Mexico.  Over the next few days brief texts and one quick skype conversation proved she was having a wonderful time.  She bonded quickly with her host sister and I thanked God that he had placed her in the perfect home.
I sat with another couple in the concert hall.  The conductor of one of the Mexico City orchestras came on stage and picked up his baton.  Instruments raised, a deep breath was taken and months of hard work floated in the air in beautiful harmony.  The applause was that of proud parents and teachers.  The collection of songs included 2 well know classics, a Mexican traditional song and a piece written by twin brothers from one of the schools.  The ending applause was endless, pulling the conductor out for an encoure.  A bit unprepared for that reaction he had the group re-perform a piece.  We were delighted and would have been happy to have the entire repertoire played again.
I was so proud of my daughter.  She embraced the experience and grew in many ways as a musician, performer and person.

No comments:

Post a Comment