Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Moving Conclusion

Proletarskaya Metro

I have come to the conclusion that I really stink at moving.  I become a wrecking ball of emotions.  Nothing feels right at our new place.  I have a bad case of the "toos".  It's too hot, too cold; too big or too small; too old, too worn out, it's just too....  It doesn't feel like home, it's just a place I've been assigned to with furniture that is nobody's style.  
I don't take this gracefully.  I'm like a fish plucked from his nice little swim in a pond.  The new environment makes me gasp for air, floundering about with my eyes bulging.  My gills flutter in and out as I try to adjust to new systems, a new language, new people and a new city.  The refuge of my home is gone until that container arrives.  I am not a person who feels the freedom between posts of not having the weight of their things.  Rather I crave for those things so that I have the security of home.  
Just like the fish, I don't take this transition laying down.  I flop all over the place making a big rukas and a big mess.  I fight the new environment with all my energy, trying desperately to adjust and find new life.  
Fortunatly I don't die like the fish does.  After about 2 months I have made a new home,  have a routine, understand the new systems and begin to enjoy myself.  My conquering, fighting sprit calm down and everyone around me breaths a sigh of relief.  
I have not mastered Paul's achievement when he says:  

"11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do all this through him who gives me strength."  Philippians 4

I am working on it and I hope I can encourage you who are going through a time of transition to do the same.

1 comment:

  1. wow! if you can manage to calm it all down in 2 months or so...i'm impressed! transition is always a good stretching, learning, growing... and going crazy time! but most days, i think it is for the birds!

    ReplyDelete