Pages

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

December 11

John 1:6-9;15-16;19-23
There was a man sent from God whose name was John. He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. 
He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world.
 (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’”) 
Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given.
Now this was John’s testimony when the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem sent priests and Levites to ask him who he was. 
He did not fail to confess, but confessed freely, “I am not the Messiah.”
They asked him, “Then who are you? Are you Elijah?”
He said, “I am not.”
“Are you the Prophet?”
He answered, “No.”
Finally they said, “Who are you? Give us an answer to take back to those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?”
John replied in the words of Isaiah the prophet, “I am the voice of one calling in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way for the Lord.’”

400 years have passed since God last spoke through a prophet.  The people have been looking forward to a Messiah, but God has been silent.  Silence.  I can relate.  How often in our lives we petition God and only silence responds.  But God is there waiting for the perfect time to reveal his will and now is the time for Israel.   


Just as Isaiah prophesied, a voice had come.  John came out of the wilderness proclaiming the true light was coming.   The people had waited, would they believe?  Could it really be that the promised Messiah was almost here?  

No comments:

Post a Comment