Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Raining on the Inside

One of the "Seven Sisters" buildings
When I had a bad day in high school, I would go into my room, pull out my orange and blue record player and lay on the floor propped up on my elbows staring at the vinyl turning around and around.  Amy Grant's song "Raining on the Inside" was my favorite to listen to on those days.  She smiled sweetly from the cover of her "Age to Age" album with long, dark wavy hair cascading down her back.  

Today I was having a good day.  I did a final purging of mold from the house, exercised and took a nice, long, hot shower before putting on clean, nice looking clothes.  I wanted to shed the hours and weariness of dealing with the move and feel like a human being once more.  I made a mocha with a shot of hazelnut and sat down at the computer to write my mom a note.  

I heard a trickling of water which soon turned into a thundering waterfall and ran to the kitchen.  Water was pouring from the vent in the ceiling and the light fixtures.  A quick check upstairs alerted me that they were cleaning out the clogged bathroom pipes.  The workman came down and began pointing at the ceiling muttering "we will have to rip that out and that out...." My mind was about dead at this point.  I have no idea what the fixing of this problem will entail.  If anything becomes moldy because of this excess water in the ceiling and walls I swear I will scream.  He left and I sat down and cried.   It was raining on the inside of my apartment and all I could think of were the words to this song.  

I'm raining on the inside;
My heart wells up with tears that start to pour.
I'm raining on the inside,
But then your cries of love break through,
And I fall in love with you once more.


No comments:

Post a Comment