Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

House For Sale

Yesterday the "For Sale" sign went up in the yard. The realtor put on her boots and wadded through the snow to pound in the bright red and yellow sign into the frozen ground. We have worked hard on getting this house ready to sell. My parents worked hard for three weeks while I was away doing many little projects that I didn't have the skill or even the heart to do.
While the realtor was here I felt good. I'm ready to take the next step, to move forward. But as the day wore on, the gravity of the "next step" began to set in. By night time I was in tears over the finality of leaving our home of 10 years.
I love this house, it reflects my personality and who we are as a family. Much has happened in our home over the years. The girls were little and into dressing up and parading down the street with the other little girls when we moved in. Now they lay on the floor with their friends pouring over magazines with music blaring. Our son was in first grade - now he's a young man in high school beginning to think of college and a career. We went through two deployments and saw our community of friends rally around us meeting our every need and carrying us through that time. The ladies at my husband's office became more like family to me rather than my husband's co-workers. My neighborhood grew to be a place of smiles and chats while outside working in the yard. My sister has lived here the same amount of time we have and while the cousins have become close friends, my sister and I have continued to grow closer as well. I can hardly imagine a day when we don't catch up for two minutes on the phone. Our church fed us, challenged us and helped us to grow closer to God.
It is not going to be easy to leave. It is a good place with good people and good memories. But the time is coming near for our family to leave and explore the new doors God has opened up for us. I look at that new door and I am filled with excitement at the adventure and apprehension at my ability to be all God wants me to be. In the next few months, the tears will come frequently, washing my soul and preparing me for the next chapter of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment