Pages

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Etiquette & Espionage


Etuquette & Espionage
by Gail Carriger
Teen Fiction/Steampunk

My daughter bought this book and hoping for a good novel while on vacation I downloaded it to my iPad.  I've never read anything quiet like it before. I would call it goth, but my husband said it's Steampunk”, a sub-genre of science fiction set in the Victorian era where everything is powered by steam.
Set in the 1800's the fashion and culture revolve around high society in England.  True to the title of the series, "Finishing School", the main character, Sophronia, is recruited into a proper school to teach her the art of fine living in high society.  But it turns out that she was actually recruited into a school of espionage where students must learn to "finish one off if necessary". 
True to the genre, modern ideas are created using 19th century equipment.  Mechanicals or robots are maids and footmen. The school flies through the air lifted by great balloons. The girls are taught how to use proper etiquette to procure information and divert attention.
I found it a fun twist from my normal reading style and was a bit bummed to see that this, the first book, only just came out so I will have to wait awhile to read more!

No comments:

Post a Comment